Your key responsibilities
Open-Xchange (OX) is a market leader in Mail / Messaging and DNS-based security services, with more than 200m seats sold through international hosting and telco providers worldwide, including partners such as 1&1, Orange, Italiaonline, Comcast, GoDaddy, NTT or Softbank.
You can make a difference as our Legal Counsel at OX
As Legal Counsel, together with the team you will participate in developing our legal strategy and be responsible for the legal processes at OX related to various topics, reporting to the General Counsel. You enjoy being involved in or leading the negotiation of complex international contracts, working closely with the managers and other team members across OX and you enjoy consulting business units on various legal topics. You are an excellent qualified lawyer, with first post-graduate professional experience in dealing with legal matters that are important to us around cloud, software, services, IP and data protection internationally. You have experience in negotiating large-scale international commercial agreements in various IT-related matters. Open-Xchange is headquartered out of Cologne, Germany, with our legal team based out of Hamburg. Ideally, you will be based in Hamburg, or you are willing to spend regular time there, working remotely from your preferred location.
As a Legal Counsel at OX, you will be covering our legal matters with a team of two legal professionals and our General Counsel, with a core focus on complex international commercial contracts and topics related to software, services, Open Source, IP and data protection and advise various teams across the company.
- You participate in developing and managing our legal strategy, processes and tools at OX, including contract management and corporate matters (incl. telecommunications law, GDPR, data protection, corporate governance)
- You draft, review and negotiate large scale and complex software license, SaaS, implementation and maintenance contracts, as well as amendments to such contracts
- You draft, review and negotiate procurement and partner agreements with suppliers from different industries
- You engage with external legal advisors, litigators, and manage legal and judicial conflicts (formal and informal)
- You have a hands-on problem-solving approach and the ability to simplify complex topics and you enjoy working on an operational level
- You communicate directly, are open-minded, and you can convince diverse stakeholders in a very fast-paced, multicultural and dynamic environment.
- You enjoy developing and maintaining an internal network within a remotely distributed company
- You are an excellent qualified lawyer, having graduated in law from a German University and passed your second state exam, being eligible to practice law in German, with a broad and deep professional knowledge in an international context (incl. USA and APAC)
- In the past 3+ years of your post-graduate professional life, you have developed a deep knowledge of IT-/IP- and data protection topics, as well as a good knowledge of other legal disciplines relevant for an international software and services company.
- You enjoy being a legal generalist in the IT-industry. You have established a broad and highly qualified network of outside counsel that you can draw on for OX
- Your skills in the field of contract management and contract negotiations are highly developed and professional and you are open to take on responsibility for procuring and operating innovative legal tech solutions.
- Negotiating and drafting in English and German is your forte.
- You enjoy occasional travel to national and international destinations.